Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Favorite event of the year!

The proud Cub Scout and his 6th prize winning derby car!
Isn't he a handsome little Cub Scout!
Who dressed the little bugger? You would think his mother would notice his collar and neckerchief before the end of the derby or at least before she took the picture! :-)

Ending with the flag being taken out.

Receiving his consolation prize from scout leaders.


So this is the first year that Carson gets to be involved in cub scouts which means he has the privilege of becoming an official Pinewood Derby Racer! They just do this one pack at a time, so it only took about 45 minutes with 12 boys! (Hallelujah!) As you might tell, I am not the biggest fan of the Pinewood Derby. This year really reiterated it for me! When Carson brings home the "blank" car kit, I have visions of the movie "Down and Derby" running through my head, hoping that Justin will take a real interest in it and help Carson get started on it EARLY, and by early I mean sooner than the night before or the day of the race! Yet again, we were scrambling to get it finished up in time for the race. I ran home from town at 4:00 p.m. (and the weigh-ins were at 5:00 p.m.) to grab the car, the drill and some lead sinkers from the tackle box. When I got home I was greeted by a tackle box completely free of sinkers, what to do! I call Justin and he tells me to go and get some out of a tackle box at Beau's (a guy he works with) house. How am I going to fix these sinkers on the car? Still haven't located the hot glue gun (a girl's best friend). Thankfully a good friend of ours who has a derby racer too comes to my rescue with her hot glue gun! So you see the results of a VERY proud Pinewood Derby racer! After all the pain and agony of preparations, we have another year of Cub Scout Pinewood Derby behind us!

No comments: